What is traditional acupuncture?
It is a healthcare system based on ancient principles which go back nearly two thousand years. It is a holistic system which believes that pain and illness are signs that the body is out of balance. The overall aim of acupuncture treatment, then, is to restore the body’s equilibrium. What makes this system so uniquely suited to modern life is that the physical, emotional and mental are seen as interdependent, and health can be affected by imbalances in any or all of these. Chinese diagnosis takes notice of all these aspects
Traditional acupuncturists are trained to use subtle diagnostic techniques that have been developed and refined for centuries. The focus is on the individual, not their illness, and all the symptoms are seen in relation to each other. Each patient is unique; two people with the same western diagnosis may well receive different acupuncture treatment
What can acupuncture treat?
Whilst acupuncture is often associated with pain control, in the hands of a well-trained practitioner it has much broader applications. Acupuncture can be effective as the only treatment used, or as the support to other medical treatments The World Health Organization recognizes the use of acupuncture in the treatment of a wide range of medical problems, including:
- Digestive disorders: gastritis and hyperacidity, spastic colon, constipation, diarrhoea.
- Respiratory disorders: sinusitis, sore throat, bronchitis, asthma, recurrent chest infections.
- Neurological and muscular disorders: neck pain,, frozen shoulder, tennis elbow, various forms of tendinitis, low back pain, sciatica, osteoarthritis.
- Urinary, menstrual, and Reproductive problems.
- Headaches : loss of energy : immune system disorders
Acupuncture is particularly useful in resolving physical problems related to tension and stress and emotional conditions.
Acupuncture has been recognized as a very effective beauty treatment – facial rejuvenation with acupuncture has increased tremendously in popularity in recent years as an effective alternative to the more drastic surgical interventions, with none of the side effects or long recovery period